Sunday, July 11, 2010

El Tercer Día

Hmm. What is there to report on the wonders of surgery?? How long some types of anesthesia last is quite impressive (perhaps disturbing); as of today I can feel my toes.  The lack of sanitation: I have no interest in a bath. (Surprise, surprise . . . especially for those of you who have lived within close proximity . . . Annie, shower?? Nah!)
Lessons Learned by the Gimpy:
Humility                      Yeah, so this one is hard. People have gushed about my humility in the past, but it is increasingly obvious how much I lack. I want to take care of myself, but that is very hard to do one footed without falling over. All of a sudden, I am very dependent, and there is nothing to do but allow myself to be helped. Despite our independence-obsessed American heritage, help is a very good thing.

Patience                       Monopods can only do so much at a time and only with x amount of speed (about .000001 mph), and that is okay.

Guts                            I get to inject myself with this fun stuff called Lovenox. It is supposed to prevent blood clots. Shots are not terribly frightening for someone who underwent years of allergy shots, but it is a wee different when I am sticking myself.

Manners                      Manners matter. Duh. When almost completely dependent, the opportunities to mind my manners multiply, or become more obvious. Whichever the case, please and thank you are necessary.

Rest                             Ahh! Rest?! Yup, I have dramatically downsized my lifestyle. I had toast and coffee this morning and read poetry for half an hour before moving on to brewing my steel-cut oats. I napped several times yesterday and watched two movies—yeah, those recorded dealios that I avoid like algebra. Reading Love’s Labour’s Lost is waiting until the Political Science class has finished. I am quite sure I will go entirely nuts sometime in the near future, but I am doing my best to embrace the rest and postpone losing my marbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment