Saturday, January 5, 2013

Say Goodbye to Why


Nearly everyday I come up with new why questions; if not, I repeat old why questions. Mixing paints, it’s like mixing paints, too many paints—instead of a new color or an answer, there’s just a mucky culmination of nothing useful. They’re mostly pointless.
A why question is an expression of emotion, often discontent, put forth as a question. Instead of I don’t want to go we say why are we going? or why do I have to go? They are typically questions without answers, especially as we get older. They can be questions of curiosity: why is the sky blue? But more often, with age, they aren’t. Why can’t I figure this out? Why do I feel this way? Why do they ask when they don’t care to listen? Why, why, why.
There are at least five other question words that can be applied to these questions: who, what, when, where, why, how. Whom can I ask for help? What can I do to feel better/differently? How can I address these emotions? What is a healthy response to this behavior I find to be hurtful? When is it appropriate to say something about it?
That is my challenge for the week, by day: to pause and reconstruct why questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment